Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Banner Ads

So everyone agrees that banner ads are annoying. And yes, I agree with everyone. BUT (and hear me out please) - wouldn't it be cool if you could click / slideshow through banner ads like photos in flickr?!

So here's the scenario: I'm on a site that I like. Google is serving up banners related to the content that I like. But I don't care about the product in the banner. I MIGHT like something else though. Maybe I'm interested in finding a sale. Or perhaps I feel lucky (and bored). I click on a "next" arrow (or something similar) at the bottom of the banner ad box, and in slides a new ad.

Ideally, these would be quick loading, and simple. Let me scan quickly and do a cursory yes/no decision. I'd me MUCH more likely to click through if I sorted through 10 ads and suddenly thought "oh, I like that one." Plus it might become a lazy / curious way to travel between sites (and find deals)...

No comments: