Sunday, November 22, 2009

Useful location based features for my iphone.

Do you use your phone differently while at work than you do while at home? I do. At work it plays music, let's me check facebook or FML occasionally, and I use it to get my personal email. At home it's a remote control for Boxee, IM manager, and my home phone. What if I could change default (phone and app) settings for different locations? Then I could get growl notifications on my iphone while watching TV shows at home, but not while I'm at work. My phone could automatically push some calls to voicemail if I have "meeting" turned on, but still ring through if I just have "work" on. There are probably a TON of useful configurations that I could do. Eventually, you could even have apps and status that are available only in certain profiles. Facebook and AIM signed in and ready to chat when at home? Have a home security system that interfaces with your phone? How about you set your phone to home to let you into your house? Maybe that's a bit out there. But not impossible. I envision that these settings would be accessed by a simple menu, like I've mocked up in the photo above. Getting to this menu could be easy (double click the home button) or a gesture or app icon. And with GPS turned on, my phone could automatically change profiles (if I set it to auto-update). What setting would you use?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea. Not that I have any sort of commute, but something like this would be nice for automatically enabling bluetooth, turning off wifi when you're on the road. How 'bout it, Apple?