Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A (more) useful LinkedIn

I saw a tweet today that said: "Twitter: what I'm doing now. Facebook: Who am I? LinkedIn: where do I work?" And that got me thinking: "Why isn't LinkedIn more useful for work collaboration?" I'm sure there are a million posts about this already, and I could spend my time researching them. Or I could just say it myself. Here. Because I do wish for it. I spent most of the fall researching project management and task management and collaborative tools. There are SO many options out there. There are a lot of good solutions that exist already. But honestly, I had to do so much digging to find them. And LinkedIn OWNS the corner on my work identity. Seriously, LinkedIn should buy one of these existing collaboration tools, integrate it into LinkedIn, and make LinkedIn more of a tool than it currently is. Create lightweight extensions of LinkedIn for collaborating. Maybe they could stop requiring that I log in to see contact emails from people, etc. I'd use a LinkedIn project collab tool if: it was good, it had an iphone version for on-the-go use, and if it was easy to use. Maybe linked in doesn't want to get into this game. But seriously, they could have people using their site ALL DAY LONG to work collaboratively. That's gotta mean a significant boost in income for them...

No comments: