Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Selective Requirements for Password Protect

Confusing title? Sound boring? Let me explain:

I want to be smart and password protect my laptop. I also want to save battery life and put the screen to sleep after a minute or two of sitting idle. However, I don't want to have to enter a password every time I stop to think!

So how about this: Let me set a time limit before it asks for my password again (5 - 10 minutes?). That way I can still be energy conscious, stop to think for a few moments or go grab a coffee, and I can be conveniently secure as well.

And want to make it even better? Use the tilt sensor in my computer to automatically require the password to unlock the screen if the computer has been moved, even if my normal time setting hasn't elapsed yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know for certain that the first idea is implemented in either Windows or OS X, but I think it was hard-coded at 1 minute. I love the expansion on the idea, though... great idea!

Jason said...

I just checked and Snow Leopard has the timer feature! It's great. Now for the second idea: anti-theft auto-lock.