Thursday, December 27, 2007

Apple iTunes movie rental on the horizon

So, this is 1/2 tech wish and 1/2 apple rumor (sorry for the rumor half). Rumor part: Apple to offer movie downloads as RENTALs You can read a Wall Street Journal article about it (HERE). Now, the good WISH part: WISH 1: Please, please, please let us pay $20 a month for unlimited rentals. Be the digital netflix and everyone will love it. If I have to pay 1.99 per rental (and especially if it's more) I'll use it occassionally, and apple would maybe make $100 off me during the year. BUT - if I could pay $20 a month for unlimited rentals, I'd sign up right away and apple would have $240 of my cash. No problem. WISH 2: Sync this to the freakin iPhone and iPodTouch. If I rent a movie, let me do it wirelessly via my iPhone too. Particularly if I'm paying 1.99 per rental (which is just a price I've made up - btw), I want iTunes to remember that I rented it on my desktop, and let me also download it to my handheld device/whatever without paying for it again (and vice versa). If you make iTunes remember where I stopped watching it on my machine, and then let me download it to my iPhone while I'm at the coffee shop & it remembers where I left off - well, hell, you'd almost have my faith in Apple won back over again.

2 comments:

andy said...

Have you used an iPhone? Downloading a full-length movie directly to your iPhone on EDGE speeds would be painful. By the time it finished downloading it will be playing commercial-free on the Classic Movie channel.

I like the Netflix, all-you-can eat model, though. I'd drop Blockbuster like that for an all-digital option.

Jason said...

But downloading over WiFi to iPhone would be just fine.