Monday, December 17, 2007

Facebook segregation

Every social group is defined as much by who it Excludes as it is by who it Includes. And all of us know that we have multiple social circles that we are connected to, but might not want all of them to mix. Facebook needs to allow me to segregate my friends. I have work friends, family friends, "I knew you a long time ago" friends, and current friend friends - all looking at the same account. And I'm getting the same level of updates from all of them! Please, Facebook - you keep saying it is coming. Please stop spending all your time trying to monetize your site by focusing too much on business pages, and focus a little bit again on your users for our benefit. My only other option at this point - is to create separate accounts for work and family/friends. This isn't ideal for many reasons - but it's the best option at the moment. Facebook - get your act together. Make your site model this aspect of real life social circles. Let me segregate my friends. NOTE: I chose "segregate" because it is a strong word. You could call this feature "sorting" "arranging" "labeling" "organizing" "personalizing" etc.

2 comments:

andy said...

I'll be the first to admit that I don't really understand the whole "social networking" culture, but isn't the whole point to network people together? Why would you want to brick-wall your acquantances from one another? What's the point?

Jason said...

Well, I may have made a mistake in using the term "segregation." Perhaps the word "organize" would be better.

And to clear up another confusion that has come up while I talk to people about this topic - it's not so that they can't see eachother. I'm fine with everyone seeing eachother. The real reason is that I (me) don't want to see the same amount of information/updates about everyone. There are friends that I would like to know about daily, and other aquaintances (say a friend from high school that I rarely talk to anymore) that I would like to know about only BIG events in their life - not daily updates.

I want to organize my big bucket of friends into different groups so that I can filter the updates I'm receiving and make my landing page on facebook more personally relevant and interesting to me.